Science is about developing children's ideas and ways of working that enable them to make sense of the world in which they live through first-hand exploration, investigation, prediction, hypothesising, conclusion and using and applying process skills. Our children have weekly science lessons, events and Science days to enjoy and develop scientific understanding as well as taking responsibility for the environment and school grounds.
At St John’s we aim to:
- Prepare children for a life in an increasingly scientific and technological world.
- Help children acquire a growing understanding of scientific ideas.
- Provide opportunities for children to acquire practical scientific skills.
- Develop the skills of investigation- including observing, measuring, predicting, hypothesising, experimenting, communicating, interpreting, explaining and evaluating.
- Develop each child's understanding of scientific concepts and their ability to apply them in everyday contexts.
- Foster concern about, and active care for, our environment.
- Encourage children to ask and answer scientific questions.
- Provide children with an enjoyable experience of science.
- Build on children's natural curiosity and develop a scientific approach to problems.