The idea is that every week your child reads 4-5 times for at least 10 minutes to you or another adult.
They will do some work on learning times tables including using Times Tables Rock Stars.
There will also be a termly menu. From this you can select any item that you wish to do each week. That way it can fit around other things that you do out of school. Do them to the best of your ability; there will be gold cards on offer!
Please will you bring this in on Mondays.
Spellings will be run differently this year; we're not setting weekly spellings or testing them. I know this sounds controversial but we will be spending time on them every day in class. I will post this week's patterns at the bottom of the page just for your information.
Autumn Homework Menu
1. Make a map of the world showing all the places that the Vikings visited.
2. Make a Viking or Anglo Saxon Meal, take a photo and get your family to review it (like trip advisor).
3. Write your own Saxon / Viking Saga.
4. King Arthur was a legendary king from the Saxon period. Read a story about him and write another about one of his adventures.
5. Write a diary of an every day person from Saxon / Viking times.
6. Make a picture of a Viking raid on a monastery.
7. Invent your own Viking god, draw a picture and explain what he / she is like.
8. Make a Saxon word search.
9. Make a message in runes and ask someone else to work out what it says.
10. Visit Jorvik Viking Centre and learn something amazing about the Vikings.
11. Create your own piece of art based on Saxon or Viking art you can find on line or in a book.
12. Make a card for someone with their name on the front with beautifully illuminated letters.
13. Make a Saxon / Viking shield or helmet.
14. Create a crossword about Saxons and Vikings
Spelling Patterns for each week
prefix “Auto” – autograph, autobiography, autopilot, automobile, autocue, automatic
Words ending with the sound 'zhuh' such as : treasure, measure, leisure, enclosure, pleasure, puncture, creature, mixture, adventure, capture
prefixes: dis, mis, in, un as in: misinform, inhuman, unhelpful, dislocate, misbehave, misplace, undo, unfair, disagree
face, race, price, certain, circus, except, exercise, excellent, concert, concentrate, police, notice, cycle, city, pencil (ce + ci for “s” sound)